At Skaw®, we understand the importance of proper care and maintenance of your septic system. All throughout the New Auburn, Wisconsin area, we keep our clients informed about the best practices for maintaining the integrity of their systems. Here are a few tips from our founder.
- Frost prevention: Care should be taken to protect your tank or drain field from freezing. This can be done at the time of installation or by putting a frost blanket or a pile of leaves or straw on top of your tank and manhole riser and/or drain field.
- This installation should be completed at least two weeks before winter temperatures are forecasted. A thick, rich lawn will help. This frost proofing is especially important before the first winter after system installation. Soil freezing next to or on top of your tank will jeopardize the integrity of water tight seals in your manhole riser joints and the joint between the wall of the tank and its cover. Frost can also cause cracks in concrete floors, walls, and covers, which causes drain fields to function improperly. Frost prevention is especially important in holding tank installations. Failure to take frost prevention measures may result in leaks. Not taking steps to frost-proof your tank could result in a voided warranty.
- For seasonal use holding tanks: Do not pump your tank empty and leave it empty and unused during the winter months. An empty, unused tank is more likely to freeze.
- Do not drive on or near your tank or drain field with any vehicle that weighs more than a riding lawn mower. Frost also penetrates the soil deeper in areas that are driven or walked upon.
- Septic tanks should be pumped out and cleaned at least every two years.
- Septic tank filters should be cleaned at regular intervals to prevent clogging your system and causing a backup. This interval is dependent upon how often and how the system is used. Try to avoid using excessive amounts of detergent, grease, and colored tissue paper. Installing a two-chambered septic tank greatly increases the time between filter service intervals. Please follow these guidelines. Maintaining your system properly will provide you with many years of trouble-free use. If you have any questions or comments, please call or email us and we will be glad to assist you.